Given Australia's geographic location, and political and economic ties, an understanding of Asia is an advantage to any graduate. The combination of courses in Asian Studies equips students particularly well for careers in business, government or education that depends on an understanding and knowledge of Asian traditions. These include the professions and businesses involved with Asia as well as the public service, teaching, the media, and the arts.
Asian Studies at UNSW
The Asian Studies major at UNSW is an interdisciplinary major providing the opportunity to study and understand the Asian region as well as Australia's place in it. It is distinguished by its emphasis on both an all-Asia approach and a speciality in one Asian country or society. The major is designed to give you a broad understanding of the region as a whole but enables you to specialize in one country.
The program offers you the opportunity to:
- build knowledge of the different historical, political, economic, social, and cultural developments that have defined the region
- develop your intellectual, creative and analytical skills
- become an Asia-literate graduate, with the skills and knowledge for a successful career
- develop a specialty in at least one Asian country
- develop your communication skills and the ability to apply these effectively in intercultural contexts
The opportunities for Asian Studies graduates are diverse, with the following roles and organisations representing just a few examples:
- Foreign correspondents
- Consultants with the Departments of Defence and Immigration or in the civil service
- Customs officials
- Tourism consultants
- Diplomatic service
- Government (state or federal)
- Trans-national businesses
- Financial Organisations
- Non-government organisations
Students are encouraged to undertake study abroad for a richer cultural experience. UNSW manages a large and active exchange program with over 180 different student exchange opportunities in 32 countries. Exchanges opportunities available in the Asian region include: China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
A major or minor in Asian Studies is available in the Bachelor of Arts and other combined degree programs. The major in the BA provides you with the opportunity to take nine courses from the Asian Studies program.